Sunday, May 7, 2017

Gardner, W., Week 2

These first two weeks of class have been filled with enjoyable experiences. Watching the 2012 documentary Side by Side was a fun way to start the course because it gave us a look at how changes in technology have impacted trends in the film industry over time. This is important because as mentioned in the book The Definitive Guide to Entertainment Marketing, movies are still the most profitable form of entertainment. Seeing the various opinions about the future of the industry from famous cinematographers and directors in this documentary was very interesting.


Mr. Matt Hufnagel was a great speaker last weak and I enjoyed the information he provided us with regarding the entertainment industry. His take on what it is like to book performances and events was great to hear because we usually only see this from an outside perspective. I also enjoyed how he stressed the importance of networking and building lasting business relations.

The PRXNE 2017 Conference in Corning was a great experience filled with informative speakers and a chance to network with business professionals. This was the first conference I have ever attended, but now I am looking forward to potentially attending more in the future. My favorite speaker was the keynote speaker that talked about the I Love NY campaign, but my favorite experience was the VR session because it gave me a look at technology that has been slowly increasing in popularity recently, and we may see it become a larger part of the entertainment industry as we move forward.

Traveling to Canandaigua on Tuesday was an enjoyable experience for me as I had not known that the New York Wine & Culinary Center was located there despite having traveled to this city many times for concerts. It was great to see a not-for-profit business like this and what is is able to do to promote the wineries, breweries, and other food-related organizations across the state of New York.


Wednesday's trip to Community Broadcasters, LLC was very informative and interesting to me as I have always liked the radio. In high school, I had the chance to have a show at the St. Bonaventure radio station and have been interested in a potential career in radio ever since. Experiencing the press release at Dunn Field was great because we got to see the interactions between a variety of media sources that were present. I was also able to speak with Smitty O'Loughlin, who talked with my about potentially getting an internship with Community Broadcasters in Olean. Also, getting to see Professor Hurdle again was great because he was one of my first professors here at Elmira and I had him for all of my Marketing courses before he retired. He was always a fun teacher and his presentation was also very informative and enjoyable.

These two weeks have been busy, but have been flying by as well. I am looking forward to our trips next week and for everything else to come the rest of this term.


No comments:

Post a Comment

McNabb, J., Week 5 Hey all! welcome back to my blog for my final post of the term! This week we took a day trip to New York City. While, t...