Friday, May 5, 2017

Cunningham, L., Week 2

When you goes to the cinema, you're there to watch a movie. The question of "is this digital or film?" probably isn't top of mind for the average audience member. However, it was a huge question for the filmmakers and they decided which medium to use to best please you. After watching the 2012 documentary, Side by Side by Christopher Kenneally, it has become very clear how much change the film making industry has gone through; the pros and cons of it; and how it much of it affects the consumers.

As a lover of old black and white films like: The Third Man and Citizen Kane. Therefore, it was a pleasure to see some of Hollywood's greatest cinematographers being interviewed throughout the film. My father went to NYU film school to pursue a masters and worked quite a bit with film. When I was younger he showed me how to use some of his cameras and he is always pointing out various nuances and great camera work when we watch movies. For that reason, I have a special place in my heart for the medium that this movie kept saying was dying.

Arguably though, the digital camera made for a much more convenient process of film making. The incredible results are not just reflected in the actual film but also through the consumers. Today's audiences would much rather see a movie full of stunning visuals; fast paced content; and possible some 3D effects. That type of movie can be quite difficult and with limited budgets, no matter the size, it is much more cost effective to use digital over film. While I appreciate the medium, I hope that film never truly dies out. They did mention the specific market that would be attracted to a movie more if it was said to have been shot with film and I guess I fit that market.




Next we all invested in ourselves by attending the Public Relations Society of America's District Conference in Corning, New York.

Bright and early on Friday morning we boarded the bus, eagerly anticipating the promise of breakfast and day full of experiential learning. Throughout the day we were granted the opportunity to sit in on different speakers with a wide range of topics. I attended talks on: social media ethics; getting the most out of a 30 second video; and the international meanings of symbols/colours/gestures. It was a very engaging event and I was honoured to have been one of the 25 students in attendance from Elmira College and Ithaca College.

Earlier I used the wise words Jane Dvorak, APR, the PRSA national chair, and I will state them again as they were a key takeaway from this experience: "invest in yourself."
Students from Elmira College and Ithaca College, with Jane Dvorak (centre)
Photo Credits: ALT Screen Blog, @PRSAFLX on Twitter, @JoshPoupore on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

McNabb, J., Week 5 Hey all! welcome back to my blog for my final post of the term! This week we took a day trip to New York City. While, t...